Thursday, October 11, 2012

Grandma's House

Thankful Thursday: Memories of Grandma's House


Recently, my grandma sold her home of over 25 years.  It was, in my opinion, the ultimate grandma house.  When I say ultimate I'm talking a barn full of horses, chickens, a tire swing, trampoline, swing set, basketball in the driveway, fields to run and play in, cozy fireplaces, secret hideouts, a sledding hill, a canal that flooded in the spring to canoe on, puzzles at Christmas, always ice cream in the freezer, a basement to do bullet reloading in, a place to do fly-tying, bookcases of good books to read with comfy chairs and warm blankets, a big beautiful staircase to slide down, a big jet tub to swim in with the cousins, warm bread or brownies or cinnamon rolls coming out of the oven, and big, big family gatherings that included games, family story-telling, family testimony meetings, and always the feeling of being loved.

But best of all....you could never walk into that house without Grandma and Grandpa acting as if you showing up was the best thing that had happened all year.  Truly, their ability to make you feel like you were the greatest person to ever walk the Earth (I'm not exaggerating) is one of the greatest things about being their grandchild.  Grandma Frost has a way with her hugs; just when you get within arms reach she reaches out and grabs you to her as though she can hardly wait to squeeze you.  Grandpa, who passed away a few years ago, would grab you to him with one of his "tree stump arms" (his words) and while hugging you dig his fingers in between your ribs, under your collar bone or some other bony part that would make you squirm.  Never do I remember entering their house when they did not get up to greet me and cover me in compliments.  These acts of love made going to their house the ultimate pick-me-up.


























This post is for me, my siblings, and my cousins in hopes it will inspire you to write down some of your own memories of grandma's house.  For all that our grandparents are, I wish to someday become.  No one else has had a bigger influence on my life other than my own parents and for that incredibly positive influence, I am so thankful.

My Grandma Frost with Ike and my mom with Zad.

2 comments: